Saturday, January 5, 2008

The Hard Part of the Adventure

Full time RVing is a wonderful thing, meeting great people, seeing the awesomeness of God's creation and not being on a schedule. I think you all would agree.

But now the hard part, today we came face to face with the fact that my brother-in-law Enoch aka "Butch" Baker is dying of brain cancer, hospice has been called in. As we sit here in Lakehills, TX, is we want to put our arms around the Baker family and laugh, love and share the time until Butch goes home to be with Jesus. The hard part is our arms aren't 1500 miles long. So we make the phone calls and do the Internet thing to purchase tickets to get on the way Detroit.

Enoch "Butch" Baker was a college professor in history, he had worked 25 years plus to get there. More importantly he is a man of faith, integrity, courage and great humor. He (with Deanne's guidence) helped raise four great childern Erin, Kelly, Shannon and Kevin as a quality loving dad. He and I had many great conversation around the campfire especially about the Matteson women, (our wives' maiden name). I love him like a brother and will miss him dearly.

Well this is the hard part of being a full-timer, I can't think of a plan to avoid this, it's life in action. I guess a song by Garth Brooks says it well "always tell them how much you love them" Butch would love that even though, HE HATES COUNTRY MUSIC.

Even this hard thing has a good side, I will be able to visit my brother Frank who has recently suffered a stroke and is still in recovery. I had hoped to visit him in warmer weather but you can bet he will know that I love him before I come back to Texas for the rest of the winter.

No comments: